mailRe: Consistency testing chapter in the relax user manual.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on September 05, 2012 - 12:50:
Hi,

Thanks for activating this chapter... I also don't know why it was never
activated... In fact, I didn't know it had to be activated, so this was
probably my fault... Anyway...

No problems.  It's useful to let users know how to use these tests.
If this chapter is slightly expanded and the user is walked through
this (i.e. assuming they know nothing), this might help to increase
your citation count ;)

Maybe adding some text and figures could indeed improve the chapter ! For
this, I would have two questions:

1) Which files (in which directory of which relax branch) need to be
modified ?

The main file is the consistency testing chapter LaTeX file that you
initially created:

docs/latex/consistency_tests.tex

I am now currently trying to have all relax graphics stored in the
base 'graphics/' directory.  This is to allow the images to be shared
between the manual, the GUI, the website, etc.  The organisation of
the 'graphics/' directory is however currently a mess.  And there are
still some graphics in the 'docs/latex/images/' directory which I will
at some point shift into the 'graphics/' directory.  I would maybe
suggest creating a new directory for each analysis type, most likely
something like 'graphics/analyses/consistency_testing/'.

2) For inclusion of figures, I guess I would need to get proper permissions
from journals where the papers were published (as I did for my thesis)...
What do you think ?

This depends on the journal.  Do you have the base images or base data
for the images?  These are quite basic graphs which could be quickly
remade (though in pretty colours and with any other changes you like).
 It shouldn't be much work at all, I hope.  The easiest would be to
have 3 or 6 figures (for example splitting up figure 1 of your paper
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10858-009-9381-4) and then explaining what
the user should look out for.  Maybe also quick instructions for how
the user can create the graph.  The sample script does not contain the
commands to generate the top 3 graphs in the paper 1 figure, so this
would be quite useful to have documented.  For less than an hour's
work, it might just be useful for getting all users to use this and
then cite your paper!  I would then also recommend adding a small
paragraph to the model-free chapter suggesting that the user performs
these tests prior to running the full model-free protocol.  It's
really a pity that this is not in the GUI - maybe one day some future
developer decides to add this (and the other prompt/script only
analyses) as they perform the analyses for themselves.