mailSuggested faster development with Git, keeping GNA infrastructure

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on July 24, 2013 - 01:54:
Hi relax developers.

I would like to suggest yet another development possibility by using Git.

Motivation:
Subversion needs an online repository, to store each commits.
Subsequent calls to svn diff > patch will generate the difference
according to the last revision.
Therefore the development at the moment require to:
* make some lines of code
* make a path file and a commit message
* use the support tracker to upload patch and commit message
wait for acceptance
wait for commit to official repository
then do an svn update
then return to point 1

This takes time, and require that repository maintainer is online.
If the above scheme is not followed, the patch files will come out of sync.

I suggest to introduce yet another development possibility by using Git.

I do not suggest to shift away from the GNA! infrasctructure,
I merely suggest to use the powers of Git, to collaborate on a feature
development, before
releasing a patch for review and commit to SVN repository.

This is maintained by a server, who tracks the relax-commit messages at
http://www.mail-archive.com/relax-commits@xxxxxxx/

That server translates the history, and commits to github.

Here a range of developers can pull the latest changes.
Make feature branches. Share those branches.
Make edits online. Use android/iphone apps.
Work on trains/planes etc. Allowing offline commits.

When the feature is ready, easily make a patch file, and upload
to the GNA trackers.

The patch file contains all the commit messages, and
changes between each commit.

That should make it easy to review, and comment on.

Git also allow to squash commits and rewrite commits.
A feature highly appreciated, based on the review comments.

I have made a wiki page, from where we can start discussing.
Here I tried to make an image of my idea.
I am very skilled in MS paint. :-)

http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Git_development

Best
Troels Emtekær Linnet