mailRe: Suggested faster development with Git, keeping GNA infrastructure

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on July 26, 2013 - 14:11:
Hi Troels,

I would now like to talk about the concept drawn in
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/File:Git_development.png.  I may have missed
the point of this figure at first - the use of Github.

I would like to start by saying that Github is an interesting concept,
but that is not where relax development belongs.  Open source projects
require far more infrastructure - the repository is only one small
part of the project.  What is required is a full software hosting
facility.  This is provided by Sourceforge, GNU Savannah, Gna!, etc.

Such open source infrastructure is not provided by Github.  And they
have never pretended that they are a replacement for such
infrastructure.  Github is a different concept.  Due to over a decade
of emails, bug reports, support requests, news stories, and the
management of tasks, it will not be easy to shift away from the Gna!
infrastructure.  There are a huge number of links in the mailing list
archives and elsewhere that break.  It could nevertheless be done.
But shifting to Github is not a solution - there are no mailing lists,
tasks, new reporting, etc.  That is why git is supported by
Sourceforge and Savannah (and likely Gna! at some point in the
future).

I have no problem if you find a way of using Github to work with
relax.  Github does have some nice features.  If you can use this to
push commits back to the subversion repository, once you have full
commit access, that would be great.  But to ask the relax developers
to set up Github accounts and shift development to Github, just to be
able to work in a familiar environment, that is a bit much.  A
different solution is needed, one where you push back to svn.  As
relax is a relatively small project, in terms of developers, then
there will be no need for pull requests.  For relax, the shared
repository model would be best.  All developers will be able push
their code, whether in svn or git.