mailRe: GNU General Public Licence for the dispersion analysis Matlab files (the sim_all.tar file contents).

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on July 29, 2013 - 17:21:
Hi Martin and Nikolai,

I'm sorry I didn't contact you earlier.  I have only recently realised
that you may own the copyright on code which has recently been
incorporated into the program relax (http://www.nmr-relax.com).  This
is the Python code from Paul Schanda, Mathilde Lescanne, and Dominique
Marion which appears to have its origins in Matlab code you developed
back in 2005 and earlier.  I have described in full detail how relax
uses this code in a public mailing list message to Nikolai at:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.nmr.relax.devel/4268/focus=4270

I was wondering if you would be able to detail the origins and history
of your code?

For relax to be able to legally incorporate the code, a copyright
licence from all authors is required (as well as which years the code
was developed, for the copyright notice).  relax is an open source
software project which relies on the GPLv3+ licence (the GNU General
Public Licence).  You can see an example of the copyright notice at
the top of this file:

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/relax/branches/relax_disp/lib/dispersion/ns_2site_expanded.py?revision=20464&content-type=text%2Fplain&pathrev=20478

Some of the contents of that file might be familiar.  As long as you
are ok with this, I would like to have your permission to use this
code.  It requires a statement to one of the relax public mailing
lists, such as this one, similar to:

"I agree to licence my contributions to the code in the file
https://gna.org/support/download.php?file_id=18404 attached to
https://gna.org/task/?7712 under the GNU General Public Licence,
version three or higher.  My copyright covers the years 200?-2005."

I would assume that your are familiar with the Matlab contents of that
sim_all.tar file.  For reference, the GPL licence is explained in
detail at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html.  The copyright licence
allows the code to be used in relax for ever - the GPL licence to the
code in relax can never be revoked.  But you own the copyright to your
code - it is not a copyright transfer.  So you are free license your
code as you wish in the future, or to do as you like with it.  But you
cannot re-license the code that is located within relax or revoke the
licence.  This is the standard protection for open source projects.
If you are happy with this, then please respond to this message with
text similar to the above statement (it can be copied and modified).
This will allow the code to remain in relax and allow Paul and
Dominique to expand on their changes and improvements to your code
within relax for their own benefit.  It also allows other relax
developers to expand on the code.  I will then add your names with the
dates to the copyright notices in the relevant files in relax.  You
might be able to identify your code in the files at
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/relax/branches/relax_disp/lib/dispersion/?pathrev=20478.
 You are also free to give suggestions as to how you should be
acknowledged in the relax user manual (temporarily at
http://download.gna.org/relax/manual/relax_disp_manual.pdf).  If you
do not agree, I can remove all of the affected code from relax.

Thank you,

Edward