mailRe: Missing code history of the 'NS 2-site expanded' model.

Posted by Paul Schanda on July 30, 2013 - 21:14:
Hi Edward,

let me try to clarify, as far as I understand.
The original code of the Maple extension was written in Maple and probably directly put into Matlab in 2000-2001 by Martin and Nikolai. They did relaxation dispersion fitting back then, and this was done in Matlab (You can find a statement about this fitting in Matlab in Tollinger, M.; Skrynnikov, N.; Mulder, F.; Forman-Kay, J.; Kay, L. J Am Chem Soc 2001, 123, 11341–11352.) Martin has been very active ever since then in the field of CPMG relaxation dispersions, so he certainly used the Matlab functions from those days on (probably until now). So I am not surprised that there might have been a modification or extension in some of the files, such that some files has a date of creation in 2005. To resolve that issue, you might probably just extend Martin's copyright period.

I got the code from Martin in 2010 (as Matlab code), I believe, in the context of a number of joint publications (Schanda, P.; Brutscher, B.; Konrat, R.; Tollinger, M. J Mol Biol 2008, 380, 726–741. Bruschweiler, S.; Schanda, P.; Kloiber, K.; Brutscher, B.; Kontaxis, G.; Konrat, R.; Tollinger, M. J Am Chem Soc 2009, 131, 3063–3068. Tollinger, M.; Sivertsen, A. C.; Meier, B. H.; Ernst, M.; Schanda, P. J Am Chem Soc 2012, 134, 14800–14807.) As I did not have Matlab in 2010, I started shuffling some of the code into octave, and then later into python. In 2013, Mathilde, Dominique and I then wrote proper functions in python, which are the ones that we contributed to relax. There are a number of functions, which you all included, that either work with Bloch-McConnell matrices in complex or real formulation, or with the Nikolai/Maple-derived function. The sim_all.m files that I have attached previously are mostly from Martin, and I did some minor changes to them.

So, I guess that this would be a way of fixing the date issue properly:

2000-2001 - as Maple code developed by Nikolai Skrynnikov and fixes by Martin Tollinger.
2000-2005 - extension of Matlab code by Martin Tollinger
2010-2013 - Python code by Paul Schanda
2013 - Python code by Mathilde Lescanne and Dominique Marion

I cannot tell you the origin of each line of code (and I doubt that anybody of the mentioned persons could), but this is basically the history of the code.

I hope that resolves this issue.

paul