mailRe: [sr #3154] Implementation of Baldwin (2014) B14 model - 2-site exact solution model for all time scales

Posted by Andrew Baldwin on May 13, 2014 - 20:27:
Hiya chaps,

I just double checked your relax implementation (see attached). All looks good!

You might find it interesting to look at the optA flag. Look at the error value, and the relative speed of optA=y/n. The two definitions are formally identical, so the only distinguishing features are speed and precision.

Also, for preference, I would like it if you put a note in the preamble to raise attention to the danger of errors of approximations, and for optimal accuracy analysis should include: off resonance effects (cite eg:

Myint, W. & Ishima, R. Chemical exchange effects during refocusing pulses in constant-time CPMG relaxation dispersion experiments. J Biomol Nmr 45, 207-216, (2009). Bain, A. D., Kumar Anand, C. & Nie, Z. Exact solution of the CPMG pulse sequence with phase variation down the echo train: application to R(2) measurements. /J Magn Reson/ *209*, 183-194, (2011).

And differential relaxation effects:

Vallurupalli, P., Hansen, D. F., Stollar, E., Meirovitch, E. & Kay, L. E. Measurement of bond vector orientations in invisible excited states of proteins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104, 18473-18477, (2007).

Vallurupalli, P., Hansen, D. F. & Kay, L. E. Structures of invisible, excited protein states by relaxation dispersion NMR spectroscopy. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105, 11766-11771, (2008).

Best,

Andy.

On 07/05/2014 15:09, Troels Emtekær Linnet wrote:
Dear Andrew.

> I am happy to announce, that B14 is now in relax.
>
> I have 1) Optimised B14 as much as possible, Edward keeping a close
> eye to it! 2) Split it into two. A full with r2a!=r2b, and "normal"
> with r2a=r2b. 3) Documented it: # The wiki
> http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/B14 http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/B14_full #
> The library function
> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/relax/trunk/lib/dispersion/b14.py?revision=HEAD

# The version of the manual is here at (19 MB). Page 141, table p 144, and 155.
 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101911/relax_manual_with_baldwin14.pdf

*Note*, that the manual now list recipe according to appendix 1, with
sign conversion according to  the translation from -CR72 to CR72.

> If you have any corrections or comments, please don't hesitate to
> write these.!
>
> You have also earlier expressed a wish to include some comments. We
> can maybe implement some lines in the manual, as: "Comments from the
> Author" ....
>
> That should help future NMR Spectroscopist, to make the right
> decision for model.
>
> If you wish, you can now also consider to change this in your
> manuscript. Appendix 1 – recipe for exact calculation of R2,eff "An
> implementation of the result written in python can be downloaded from
> http://baldwinlab.chem.ox.ac.uk/resources"; Just to remind you, that
> the code is not there yet. If you wish, you can write that it has
> been implemented in relax, to be released in version 3.2
> http://www.nmr-relax.com/download.html
>
> With a possible reference to:
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btu166
>
> Best Troels

> <tlinnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi Andrew.
>>
>> Order of my current work. 1) Optimise B14. 2) Split it into two. A
>> full with r2a!=r2b, and "normal" with r2a=r2b. 3) Get the function
>> code of nicolailong with r2a!=r2b into relax. 4) Modify script:
>> http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/relax/trunk/test_suite/system_tests/scripts/relax_disp/cpmg_synthetic.py?revision=HEAD

5) Make it generate data with nicolailong, fit with B14 full, CR72
full, for sensible systems.  6) Make a hyperdim space with dx:
>> http://www.nmr-relax.com/api/3.1/pipe_control.opendx-module.html#map

Then I will see what I think.

> [...]
>>> the equation prettier.
>>>
>>> 2) You might need to give a bit more thought to the numerical
>>> implementation. Notice that I add the factor of R2g back in,
>>> during the function Numdisp. Turns out you can factor anything
>>> out from the diagonal as long as you put it back in at the end,
>>> hence the form of the matrix in the code I sent.
>>>
>>> You can prove this by looking at the Eigenvalues, and how they
>>> propagate when you take things like matrix exponentials. In the
>>> same vein, notice that In the paper I subtract R2G from both f00
>>> and f11. I add it back in again later in the constants out the
>>> front. This is following from the lead of Nikolai in his
>>> reconstructing invisible states paper. Implicitly looking at
>>> deltaR2s shows clearly where differences in relaxation have
>>> effects, so this brings out the physics.
>>>
>>> So look at the 'error' reported in the outputs. When you made the
>>> Troels version of the numerical code, the error for the Baldwin
>>> formula was 10s-1. This is actually the exact value you set R2G
>>> to. So while you added in R2G in the evolution matrix (which is
>>> not wrong to do), you didn't then remove it in numdisp, so your
>>> solution is out by one unit of R2G.
>>>
>>> Looking at the outputs, the code I sent for CR had the carver
>>> richard's formula set in the wrong 'minus' configuration, added
>>> during testing while writing the previous email. This was
>>> certainly my foobar. However, note that the maximum 'error'
>>> reported by the code was 4989 s-1 when you ran the code for the
>>> first time. In my previous email:
>>>

>>> with the alpha- sign made consistent with the Carver Richard's
>>> paper gives an error of 4989 s-1 in the same test
>>>
>>> That should have set off alarm bells for you. Setting either:
>>>
>>> zeta=2*dw*(deltaR2+keg-kge)                 #zeta=g1
>>> zeta=2*dw*(-deltaR2-keg+kge)                 #zeta=g1
>>>
>>> In the CR function as you note (and as you do in relax) is good.
>>> If you subtract the 'Baldwin error' from the 'CR error' you get
>>> 8. 8 s-1 is the biggest error incurred using CR in this parameter
>>> range (as I stated in the last email). So it's fair to call the
>>> CR equation an approximation. Fig 1 speaketh the truth. Calculate
>>> it yourself first using your code before wielding the accusing
>>> stick!
>>>
>>> So I'm deducting one half pint from your score for not checking
>>> the results from your modified numerical code more carefully.
>>>
>>> And now for beer counting: 1) Appendix 1 – recipe for exact
>>> calculation of R2,eff is: h1 = 2.0*dw (R2B - R2A + k_BA - k_AB) =
>>> - CR72  (But it have no influence, but please keep history!
>>> Change it back to CR72. :-)) same for h2.
>>>

>>> Pint for the typo in keg/kge. That's a genuine foobar in the manu
>>> - the equations should match code i've written, and I know the
>>> code is right because i've matched it to simulation. I'll keep my
>>> Eigenvalue definitions though.
>>>

>>> 2) zeta typo in eq 70. z=zeta
>>>
>>> Agreed! +1.
>>>

>>> 3) Watch alpha_ in eq 70. Get Delta R straight

g1=2*dw*(deltaR2+keg-kge)                   #same as carver richards zeta
That is not true. That  is minus Zeta. But it does not matter,
>>> since order **2.
>>>
>>> See 1. No extra pint here either.
>>>
>>> 5) Did you actually implement ExchangeMat2x2  wrong?? If yes,
>>> theeeeeen, no wonder figure 1 shows what it does. :-) What is up
>>> for the deltaOmegas story???
>>>

>>> -1/2 pint for an over-reached conclusion from your modified
>>> code.
>>>
>>> So current score = 1.5
>>>

>>> Meiboom challenge: I'd be interested in a proof for how Carver
>>> Richard's reduces to Meiboom. I'd pay a pint for that. To get you
>>> started, note that in the fast exchange limit, E0 and E2 can be
>>> simplified using the fast exchange limits in supp section 1.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> Andy.
>>>

>>> On 05/05/2014 15:27, Troels Emtekær Linnet wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Andy.
>>>
>>> Heh, the funniest part with the fluorescence was to battle with
>>> the moderators of wikipedia to change 9000 to 9 in R06.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%B6rster_resonance_energy_transfer#Theoretical_basis

That was a brawl, to convince them that the bible was wrong. But
referring to the old  dusty library book of Forster (Ref 14) made
>>> the deal.
>>>
>>> Back to the beer.
>>>
>>> You are swapping two things in your code, according to CR72.
>>>
>>> If I write up CR72: (Directly from cr72.py) ####### fact = r20a -
>>> r20b - k_BA + k_AB zeta = 2.0*dw * fact
>>>
>>> So in total: %%%%% zeta(CR72) = 2.0*dw (R2A - R2B + k_AB - k_BA)
>>> %%%%
>>>

>>> Then we take your code: ####### deltaR2=R2e-R2g
>>> g1=2*dw*(deltaR2+keg-kge)                   #same as carver
>>> richards zeta
>>>
>>> Change notation, to make it easier to see: %%%%% zeta(B14) =
>>> 2.0*dw (R2B - R2A + k_BA - k_AB) %%%% But huh, is that not just:
>>>
>>> zeta(B14) = - zeta(CR72) = 2.0*dw ( - R2A + R2B - k_AB + k_BA) =
>>> 2.0*dw ( R2B - R2A + k_BA - k_AB)
>>>
>>> Well, that is interesting. So your g1 is the negative of carver
>>> richards zeta.
>>>
>>> Fortunately we are lucky, that zeta is to the power **2. So that
>>> leaves it out.
>>>
>>> How about psi? It boils down to that fact(B14) = - fact(CR72)
>>> <=> alpha_ (B14) = - alpha_ (CR72)
>>>
>>> But alpha_ is also to the power **2. Phew...
>>>
>>> So what is up. If we look at: (compareTroells.py)
>>> https://gna.org/support/download.php?file_id=20636
>>>
>>> ############## def
>>> CarverRichards(kex,pb,dw,ncyc,Trelax,R2g,R2e,outfile,verb='n'):
>>> deltaR2=R2e-R2g keg=(1-pb)*kex kge=pb*kex
>>>
>>> zeta=2*dw*(-deltaR2+keg-kge)                 #zeta=g1
>>> psi=(deltaR2+keg-kge)**2.0+4*keg*kge-dw**2  #psi=g2
>>> #############
>>>
>>> Well here we have something ! zeta = 2.0 * dw ( R2A - R2B - k_AB
>>> + k_BA )
>>>
>>> So this is not about how you make the difference of ( R2A - R2B
>>> ) it is the swapping of + k_AB - k_BA <<  - k_AB + k_BA kex(1 -
>>> 2pa) << kex( -1 + 2pa )
>>>
>>> You have implemented CR72 wrong ?
>>>
>>> Hmmmm. What is up?
>>>
>>> You get a difference between CR72, and numerical. You cannot get
>>> CR72 to work, unless you modify alpha_. You invert the signs of
>>> forward / backward exchange rate.
>>>
>>> You say that numerical is true, so CR72 is wrong.
>>>
>>> Lets inspect numerical.
>>>
>>> If we look at: (compareTroells.py)
>>> https://gna.org/support/download.php?file_id=20636 Now we look up
>>> the numerical solution. #####
>>> NumDisp(kex,pb,dw,ncyc,Trelax,R2g,R2e,outfile,verb='n'):
>>> array=CPMG2x2(dw,(R2e-R2g),kex,pb,Trelax,ncyc)
>>> CPMG2x2(dOmega,DeltaR2,kex,pb,Trel,ncyc):
>>> L=ExchangeMat2x2(dOmega,DeltaR2,kex,pb)
>>> ExchangeMat2x2(dOmega,DeltaR2,kex,pb): L = mat(zeros((2,
>>> 2),dtype=complex)) L[1,1] -= DeltaR2
>>>
>>> Hmmm. According to your paper at equation 3.
>>>
>>> R+ = [[ -kAB - R2A]  [kBA] ] [ kAB]      [ -kBA - R2B - i dw] ]
>>>
>>> But I see that it gets populated like R+ = [[ -kAB ] [kBA] ] [
>>> kAB]      [ -kBA - R2B + R2A - i dw] ]
>>>
>>> Has this something to do with it:
>>>
>>> ????
>>>
>>> So I took the liberty to change your code, hoping the Theory is
>>> right.
>>>
>>> ############# Normal Baldwin 1.183188 1.0 Numerical 58.556647
>>> 49.4905687008 Meiboom 0.391873 0.331200958766 Carver 0.693676
>>> 0.586277075156 compareTroells_w_Troels_mod.py:260:
>>> RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in log
>>> R2eff=(1/Tc)*numpy.log(intensity0/intensity); # we did
>>> not factor out (Ka+Kb)/2 here Nikolai 3.434938 2.90312105938
>>> NikolaiLong 585.485493 494.837247335
>>>
>>> Maximum error over grid (s-1): Meiboom: 93015865.9296
>>> Baldwin:          1.49539403083e-09 CarverRichards:
>>> 4989.8296812 Nikolai dougle (9): 204.761587913 Nikolai
>>> long double (23):     2.0692254415912185547869e-7
>>>

>>> ############ Modifying Meiboom to 4 NCYC Maximum error over grid
>>> (s-1): Meiboom:          22664952.3388 Baldwin:
>>> 1.49539403083e-09 CarverRichards:   4989.8296812
>>>
>>> ########### Modifying ExchangeMat2x2 to your paper version.
>>> Meiboom:          22664942.3388 Baldwin: 10.0000000012
>>> CarverRichards:   4979.8296812
>>>
>>> ########## Modify CR72 zeta=2*dw*(-deltaR2-keg+kge) Baldwin
>>> 1.216869 1.0 Numerical 60.302727 49.555644034 Meiboom 0.397395
>>> 0.326571718073 Carver 0.700189 0.575402118059
>>> compareTroells_w_Troels_mod.py:261: RuntimeWarning: invalid
>>> value encountered in log
>>> R2eff=(1/Tc)*numpy.log(intensity0/intensity); # we did
>>> not factor out (Ka+Kb)/2 here Nikolai 3.569577 2.93341107383
>>> NikolaiLong 591.459824 486.050531323 Maximum error over grid
>>> (s-1): Meiboom:          22664942.3388 Baldwin:
>>> 10.0000000012 CarverRichards:   18.2238852463 Nikolai dougle (9):
>>> 214.761587913 Nikolai long double (23):
>>> 10.000000207062814176945
>>>
>>> WOOOOOWWWW
>>>
>>> The change I made was:
>>>
>>> ############################################## 37c37 < def
>>> ExchangeMat2x2(dOmega,DeltaR2,kex,pb): ---
>>>
>>> def ExchangeMat2x2(dOmega,R2e,R2g,kex,pb):
>>>
>>> 47c47 <     L[1,1] -= DeltaR2 ---
>>>
>>> L[1,1] -= R2e
>>>
>>> 49a50
>>>
>>> L[0, 0] -= R2g
>>>
>>> 64,65c65,66 < def CPMG2x2(dOmega,DeltaR2,kex,pb,Trel,ncyc): <
>>> L=ExchangeMat2x2(dOmega,DeltaR2,kex,pb) ---
>>>
>>> def CPMG2x2(dOmega,R2e,R2g,kex,pb,Trel,ncyc):
>>> L=ExchangeMat2x2(dOmega,R2e,R2g,kex,pb)
>>>
>>> 86,87c87,88 <     tcp=1/(2*nu_cpmg) <
>>>
>>> R2eff=(1-pb)*R2g+pb*R2e+R2Fast*(1.-(2./(kex*tcp))*numpy.tanh(kex*tcp/2.0))

---

>>> tcp=1/(4*nu_cpmg)
>>>

>>> R2eff=(1-pb)*R2g+pb*R2e+R2Fast*(1.-(4./(kex*tcp))*numpy.tanh(kex*tcp/4.0))

112c113