mailRe: analysis of limited data sets

Posted by Alexandar Hansen on October 06, 2006 - 17:07:

I think you lost me a bit there.  I don't understand 'fully
anisotropic'?  Does that mean rhombic (all three eigenvalues are
different), hence the tensor is ellipsoidal?

Sorry, that's my bad.  I'm catching a cold and having trouble reading and thinking clearly :-(.  I meant to say fully asymmetric, ie eta (your R, I believe) is ~ 1.

  But because you say dzz
~= dyy, then the tensor must be spheroidal (the two eigenvalues dzz
and dyy are equal), hence the tensor is anisotropic but not rhombic.
Most of the references to 'fully anisotropic' that I have encountered
are synonymous with 'rhombic'.  Also, how is 'eta' defined?  I have
seen at least four different ways of expressing the shape of the CSA
tensor which doesn't include the three eigenvalues, be that d11 >= d22
>= d33, |dzz| >= |dyy| >= |dxx|, etc.  Symbols are symbols, as long as
you define them you can use anything.

Here's my little tutorial on CSA nomenclature.  It's one of the most annoying things I have found in NMR and I've made it a significant part of my thesis to boot!  So, I'm going to start from scratch and assume almost no previous understanding (it's a large message board, so why not?).  First, CSA means two things: either 'chemical SHIFT anisotropy' or 'chemical SHIELDING anisotropy'.  The differences come from, I believe, the discipline of NMR you are most familiar with: solution state people always display chemical shifts whereas solid state people tend towards the shielding side.  These two terms are synonymous, and yet opposite each other.  Shift tensors are always described as delta(ii) and shielding tensors are sigma(ii) where:

delta(ii) = sigma(reference) - sigma(ii)

The three principle values are then organized as del(11) > del(22) > del(33) and sig(11) < sig(22) < sig(33), ie del/sig(11) has the largest chemical shift value (most downfield) while the del/sig(33) value is the most shielded value (most upfield).  To make things even more ridiculous, some people reverse the sigma organization (sig(11) > sig(22) > sig(33)) where del11 is now equivalent to sig33, etc!  So, beware!  As I said before, I prefer the delta organization as I am in solution state and there isn't the added sigma confusion.

Now, the CSA tensor that defines the position of a peak in your NMR spectrum has both the isotropic and anisotropic component:

delta(ij) = delta(iso) + delta(ani,ij)

In relaxation and RCSA studies, the isotropic part is completely irrelevant and therefore we are only interested in the anisotropic part which is traceless (SUM[del(ani,ii) from 1to3] = 0) and assumed to be symmetric (del(ani,ij) = delta(ani,ji)), although this isn't necessarily true, but for molecular symmetry reasons almost always is true. From here on I'm just refering to the anisotropic part of the tensor and delta(11) is always positive and delta(33) is always negative.

For a number of mathematical reasons, the CSA tensor is often reorganized once again in terms of x,y,z such |deltz(zz)| > |delta(yy)| > |delta(xx)|, similar to diffusion tensor and alignment tensor definitions.  The asymmetry of the tensor is defined as:

eta = (delta(xx) - delta(yy))/delta(zz)

and varies from 0 (fully symmetric) to 1 (fully asymmetric).  This is the parameter that is ubiquitously assymed to be zero in relaxation in order to keep the CSA term simple.  In the situation where eta ~= 1, del(11) ~= del(33) or del(zz) ~= del(yy) and del(22) = del(xx) ~= 0.  Now the confusing part (if this hasn't been confusing enough!): there are many values proposed in the literature for the principle values of various nuclei and in some cases |del(11)| > |del(33)| and in others |del(33)| > |del(11)| !  Given the the CSA is a tensor, the orientation of all 3 components are orthogonal, so this seemingly harmless difference represents a 90 degree shift in the dominant principle component value in terms of x,y, and z.  So, the question is, how does this relate to relaxation studies?

In much of the literature (which assumes eta = 0), the ANISOTROPY of the tensor is given as:

DELTAdelta = delta(zz) - (delta(xx)+delta(yy))/2

or, with a little trivial math:

DELTAdelta = (3/2) delta(zz)

What you find in most relaxation equations for R1 and R2 is that the CSA constant is:

(2/5) (omega(i) * DELTAdelta)^2 / 3   or equivalently   (3/10) (omega(i) * delta(zz))^2

(For those of you wondering where 2/5 comes from, I simply prefer to pull it out of the extended model free spectral density function.)

Let's keep things simple for now (ie, isotropic diffusiong).  If you want to include asymmetry, one should really use the following as the CSA constant:

(3/10) omega(i)^2 delta(zz)^2 (1+eta^2/3)

where delta(zz) * sqrt((1+(eta^2)/3)) is the asymmetric anisotropy, or CSAa.  The CSAa is equivalently:

sqrt((3/2) (del(xx)^2 + del(yy)^2 + del(zz)^2))

So, for eta = 0, DELTAdelta = CSAa, but when eta != 0, CSAa > DELTAdelta.  Now, how many biomolecules diffuse isotropically?  Can I see a show of hands?  Ok, I don't see a lot of hands, although ubiquitin is sitting in the back waving his/her arms wildly :).  Here's the kicker, when a molecule tumbles anisotropically the asymmetry term of the CSA can NOT be pulled out of the spectral density function!  The CSA constant for these need to be:

(3/10) omega(i)^2 delta(zz)^2

and the extended model free coefficients contain the asymmetry as well as euler angles relating the CSA tensor with the diffusion tensor (but let's not go there for right now).

So, where am I going with all this?  When is Alex going to stop rambling on and on about CSAs?!  If you can remember back, I said that the literature is unclear about some CSAs and that the delta(zz) term for some nuclei switches between delta(11) and delta(33).  Well, there you go, in all relaxation delta(zz) is the principle component that matters, and if your delta(zz) = delta(11), you'll be oriented in the least shielded direction, whereas if your delta(zz) = delta(33), you'll be oriented 90 degrees away in the most shielded direction.  It's possible that this isn't too detrimental of a problem, given that the asymmetry is ~1, but I'm still looking into some simulations of this problem.

That's about everything I can think of as important for right now.  Let me know if you have any questions. :)

Another thing that confuses me is that the dxx eigenvalue is
approximately zero ppm?  Is that possible?  Also, doesn't traceless
refer to a tensor in which the sum of the eigenvalues is zero?  That
would only occur if the isotropic chemical shift is zero ppm.  Sorry
about my ignorance, but what does 'traceless anisotropic part' and
'anti-symmetric part' of the CSA tensor mean?  Does this involve the
diagonalisation of the matrix and then the subtraction of the
isotropic shift times the identity matrix from the diagonalised CSA
matrix?

I was trying to be a little scary, for some reason.  The CSA tensor CAN, have an anti-symmetric part (delta(ij) != delta(ji)) which leads to terms in the correlation functions, f_lm(tau), and their Fourier transforms, g_lm(omega), whith l = 1. !!  I'm not very good at describing, let alone understanding, this but hopefully you know what I mean.  It's an interesting bit of trivia, but for now let's pretend I never said anything ;)

One last question, if the CSA tensor for RNA/DNA base 13C and 15N
spins is not rhombic, does this mean that the angle between the unique
axis of the CSA tensor and the XH dipolar interaction vector is ~90
degrees?

More often than not, yes, but there's really two principle components to the tensor that are important.  I don't quite understand the rhombic term, but I'm assuming it means assymetry (?)

As you can probably see, I am a bit lost.  This is probably because of
my ignorance of the variety of symbols used to express the same thing
and the terminology used in each instance.

That's completely understandable!  The whole topic is filled with duplicate and triplicate nomenclature!  If I had my way, I would chose yet another way to describe the CSA tensor that I didn't even discuss that keeps everything in terms of the delta(11) , (22), and (33) that I prefer.  But that would take a lot of derivations from scratch on my part, so I'm leaving that alone ... for now ;)  One day, I hope to confuse the literature even more!!!  Mwa ha ha ha!!  I think that's a prerequisite for anyone studying CSAs.  I hope you've enjoyed this mini tutorial of my knowledge on CSA tensors.

Cheers,
Alex

Edward