mailRe: full_analysis.py

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 13, 2006 - 08:49:
Hi.

relax does take much longer than both Dasha and Modelfree.  The reason
for this is that the optimisation precision in relax is many, many
orders of magnitude higher than both Dasha and Modelfree.  This makes
a significant difference to the final results.

Has relax now returned results?  On a 160 residue protein, the
completion of the new model-free analysis protocol encoded in
'full_analysis.py' took just over one week to complete.  This was on a
dual processor, dual core Intel Xeon 2.8 GHz machine.  And that
included 14 rounds of optimisation for the spherical, oblate
spheroidal, prolate spheroidal, and ellipsoidal diffusion models.
That would be ~14 hours per iteration per diffusion model.  Do you
mind me asking what the CPU speeds of the Pelican, Owl, and Pigeon is?
As you have 220 residues (the effect of the number of NMR relaxation
data sets on the computation speed would probably be negligible), it
may take longer than a week to complete the calculations (depending on
your CPU speeds).

Also did relax create a directory called 'm8'?  Each additional
parameter in the model increases the CPU time required by an order of
magnitude because it adds one additional dimension to the chi-squared
space.  For the grid search, it will be almost exactly 1 order of
magnitude; the optimisation afterwards would be much less than 1 order
of magnitude.  The time required for model 'm8' may be close to or
above that required for the sum of all other models.

Hopefully the calculations of the first round are now complete.
Otherwise, there may be an issue somewhere slowing things down.  If
that is the case, then we can hunt down the issue and fix it.

Bye,

Edward