mailRe: full_analysis.py

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on February 17, 2008 - 22:27:
On Feb 17, 2008 7:47 PM, Sebastien Morin <sebastien.morin.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I recently used the full_analysis.py script.

In the final run, I wonder if it would be useful to make MC simulations
on the diffusion tensor parameters. Are errors on the diffusion tensor
parameters useful ?

They are, but it takes a long time.  relax's more accurate and
significantly higher precision optimisation, compared to Modelfree and
Dasha, means this takes a long time.  Especially when this is combined
with the phenomenon of model and MC sim failure (the paper on
Model-free Model Elimination is published in JBNMR).  You can give it
a go, but it could take forever - literally.  There is an ancient post
on this, lets see if I can dig it out.  Ok, this is from Chris
MacRaild, way back in 2005.   Well before the mailing lists.  So I
have cut and paste the relevant part of my response, it's located at
the end of this message.  My model elimination paper has a very good
description of this problem too.

I ask this question because I used to work with ModelFree (Palmer) and
this program output errors on every parameter, including the diffusion
tensor...

Also, I realized that simulations were being done on the bond length and
CSA. Is this useful ? Why ?

If the bond length or CSA parameters are part of the model, which is
not the case the full_analysis.py script or if you are doing a normal
analysis, then these will be treated as all model parameters and will
be part of the simulation process (just as it was in the fitting).
This is a hidden feature of relax.  Someone adventurous could be the
first in the field to play with these model-free 'constants' converted
to variables, but it will require heavy testing.  Synthetic test
models are an absolute must!  Maybe one day in a future post-doc or
beyond, I'll get around to this.

What's your opinion about MC simulations on the diffusion tensor
parameters as long as the bond length and CSA in the final run ?

MC simulations of the diffusion tensor will require Gary Thompson's
multi processor code for running this on a cluster.  Otherwise it will
likely be impossibly slow (unless you crank down the accuracy and
precision to that of Modelfree or Dasha (I wouldn't recommend this as
it will be far worse than not simulating the tensor parameters)).  The
bond length and CSA values are constant in the models you are using,
so they are unaffected by the simulations.

Here is part of the ancient message:
-----