mailRe: CH3 relaxation

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 05, 2009 - 10:40:
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been quite busy lately.  Please see below.

2009/9/16 Tiago Pais <tpais@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Palmer et al. 1993 JACS 115, 6333-45, measures side chain dynamics in a Zinc
finger peptide using natural 13C abundance but I can not really follow all
the treatment that they did.
Lee et al. 1999 JACS 121, 2891-2902 also measure CH3 dynamics with
ubiquitin.

Still, my doubt is that, due to the rotation of the methyl protons you can
never describe a J(w) for any of the three protons if the molecule has non
isotropic diffusion. Even if you have a CHD2 methyl group, you will never
now the orientation of the CH vector relative to the diffusion tensor.

What I seem to understand from the literature is that methyl rotation about
the symmetry axis is usually fixed to S2=0.111 assuming a perfect
tetrahedral geometry of the methyl groups. So it is not the C-H vector
itself that is question but rather the vector that is aligned with the
methyl rotation symmetry axis. Then, you have the reorientation of the
methyl symmetry axis which also contributes for the motion of the methyl
group. So if you get an S2 much lower than 0.111 it means that there is
additional motion to the CH3 group which can only appear from the
reorientation of the symmetry axis.

Does this make any sense to you?

Yes, I remember this reference now.  It's been quite a while since I
read that one.  The 0.111 order parameter comes from pure tetrahedral
geometry.  Was this for Woessener's diffusion on a cone or a 3 site
jump model?  If you make the assumption that orientation is not
important (the quality of this assumption is debatable, but this is
nevertheless valid modelling), then values less than 0.111 would
indicate additional motion.  This is directly from the Lee paper,
isn't it?  Maybe the use of the local tm models, instead of a global
diffusion tensor covering all spins would partly solve the diffusion
tensor issue.

I will look at the paper of Schurr to see if I can get a better idea.
I have already implemented Kay's pulse sequences to minimize the
contribution of cross relaxation but now I am a bit stuck with this part of
the analysis.

My paper in Molecular Biosystems gives a good summary of these
contrasting issues
(http://www.nmr-relax.com/refs.html#dAuvergneGooley07).  The
implications for standard NH backbone dynamics are demonstrated in my
2008 papers (http://www.nmr-relax.com/refs.html#dAuvergneGooley08b),
but would also apply to side chains.

Cheers
Tiago Pais

PS: The dll problem disappeared after I installed Relax in Ubuntu. Windows
is definitely not a good solution. Especially with these virtual machines
working so well nowadays it really doesn't make sense suffering with
windows!

That was a strange problem!  relax has been successfully used on
Windows machines before (I always test relax on Windows before
releasing a new version), so this problem should be solvable.  Virtual
boxes are very useful though.