mailRe: a black box is needed

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 05, 2009 - 11:09:
Dear Boaz,

I'm afraid to tell you, but you will need to study and understand the
area of model-free analysis prior to applying it (at least a little
anyway, you cannot bypass the scientific knowledge ;)  A good
introduction is chapter 1 of my PhD thesis downloadable at
http://www.nmr-relax.com/refs.html#dAuvergne06 or available in paper
form from Amazon
(http://www.amazon.com/Protein-Dynamics-Model-free-Analysis-Relaxation/dp/3639057627/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254732645&sr=8-1).
 Note that model-free analysis is quite a complex modelling issue.
For example see http://www.nmr-relax.com/refs.html#dAuvergneGooley07
for how I have encompased the entire problem and defined the universal
solution (the solution in the universal set of model-free and
diffusion models).

If you would like to perform a full analysis, I would suggest you look
at the 'sample_scripts/full_analysis.py' script.  I have written this
one so you can perform model-free analysis as a black box.  You must
nevertheless know of a few of the 'issues' associated with model-free.
 Again, these issues are all detailed in my review at
http://www.nmr-relax.com/refs.html#dAuvergneGooley07.

For the problem you saw, it would be useful to know the relax version
you used, how you modified the script, what input data you used, etc.
Oh, I think I just worked out what happened.  Did you run relax and
then simply type 'model-free.py' at the prompt?  I tried this and it
gave the error message you mentioned.  If so, this is not how you use
relax.  If you have a script file, you need to type:

$ relax script_file

at the prompt.  It would be useful if you read at least the
introductory part manual, specifically section "1.2 How to use relax"
and the subsection "1.2.7 Scripting".  You may not want to learn
Python, but all programs require you to become familiar with their
basic operation, be that a powerful scripting interface such as
Python, a self written scripting interface such as in Dasha, or the
creation of a collection of intricately formatted input files such as
in Art Palmer's Modelfree4.  I hope this helps.