mailRe: SH3, model-free failed (relax GUI)

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on June 05, 2012 - 11:42:
Hi Martin,

Do you have information about which version of relax you are using?
The only place a RelaxFault can occur in relax is with the creation of
the Molmol and PyMOL macros, specifically when creating the
representation for the amplitude of motion for fast motions.  I'm
surprised that no one, apart from yourself, has ever seen this
problem!  This code path (see specific_fns/model_free/macro_base.py at
line ~242) has probably been executed thousands of times without
failure.  Anyway, it would be appreciated if you could submit a bug
report for this (https://gna.org/bugs/?func=additem&group=relax).

Note that this RelaxFault is not much of an issue.  You can see the
exact failure point by looking into the
auto_analyses/dauvergne_protocol.py file.  This is essentially a
massive relax script which implements the special model-free protocol
I came with in my 2007 and 2008 papers
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b702202f,
http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10858-007-9213-3).  It originally was a
relax script, but was converted into an auto-analysis as my protocol
should not be changed by a user and then the results published as
being the result of my protocol.  The exact failure point would be the
lines:

        self.interpreter.pymol.macro_write(data_type='amp_fast',
dir=dir, force=True)

or:

        self.interpreter.molmol.macro_write(data_type='amp_fast',
dir=dir, force=True)

If you have a look at what is after this, you'll see which parts of
this analysis have not executed.  This includes the diffusion tensor
PDB representation in the write_results() method and then if you
follow the code you'll see that nothing else happens before falling
off the end of the analysis.  This means that you have the results for
the completed analysis sitting on your computer!  If you would like
the PDB representation of the diffusion tensor for a figure, or just
to play with, you can execute that user function directly from the
menus.  You might be able work out the name of this user function from
auto_analyses/dauvergne_protocol.py file.  Anyway, the RelaxFault is
nothing to worry about, but a bug report would be very useful so I can
then make sure no one ever sees this problem again.