mailRe: relax-users@xxxxxxx

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on February 07, 2013 - 09:46:
Hi Venkat,

This is clearly a wxPython issue, as you can run relax in the
prompt/script modes but not GUI mode.  I remember you have previously
had wxPython issues:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.nmr.relax.user/1247

Have you changed anything since then?  The version appears to be
identical.  Your wxPython is horribly broken on Centos 5 and there is
not much I can do about that.  How was this installed?  Was it self
compiled on your Centos 6 machine?  It appears pretty obvious that
your current wxPython binaries are incompatible with the libraries
installed on your Centos 5 machine.  You may need to have separate
wxPython installations for Centos 5 and 6 (possibly then also separate
Python installations).  As I suggested in that old thread, maybe you
could try and see if the wx demos run on Centos 5.  Unfortunately as
this is not part of relax, there is not too much I can do to help you.

If your sys admin cannot solve this, there is a fix.  You can download
the Python, numpy, scipy, and wxPython sources and compile these into
your home directory using:

$ configure --prefix=~

Or place them into a special directory.  For example to test relax, I
have a special directory called /data/python/.  I have compiled Python
versions 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 3.0,
3.1, 3.2, and 3.3 using the configure script option
'--prefix=/data/python/'.  Each of these have numpy, scipy, and
wxPython compiled for them, when possible.  This is using, for
example:

$ /data/python/python1.5 setup.py install

I can then test relax with the
'devel_scripts/python_multiversion_test_suite.py' script pointing to
all these Python versions.  Note that this is completely performed as
a user - at no point was root access required (though you many need
the admin to install some development packages if missing).  If your
home directory is shared, then maybe you can have separate directories
for a Centos 5 and Centos 6 build.  I hope some of this info helps.