mailRe: Error in consistency testing function F_R2

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on June 28, 2008 - 13:46:
Hi,

Are you really sure Fushman defines it in that way is this manuscript?
 It's normally defined as you say

1)   c = (CSA * wN)/sqrt(3)

and in the function called by your consistency testing code, the
square of this is returned (as an aside, I should document that
function better).  Assuming the CSA constant

2)  c' = (CSA * wN)/3,

and the equation

3)   f_r2 = (r2 - p_hf) / ((4.0 + 3.0 / (1 + (wN * tc) ** 2)) * (d + c/3.0))

then the last multiplication factor becomes

4)   x = d + c'/3,

5)   x = d + (CSA * wN) / 9.

The last part of 5) is the CSA constant of 1) divided by the 3 times
the square root of 3 (3*sqrt(3)).  I have a feeling that there is an
error in the constant definitions somewhere.  Do you know if the
normal CSA constant divided by 3*sqrt(3) is correct for the f_r2
value?  If the division by 3 is removed, then this is the CSA constant
divided by sqrt(3), which again seems not quite right.  Unfortunately
I don't have Fushman's publication at hand to check the constants in
his derivations.  I think this derivation needs to be very carefully
scrutinised for accidental typos.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Sébastien Morin