mailRe: The collation of information from the mailing lists into a static web page.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 09, 2006 - 16:33:
(https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-users/2006-10/msg00020.html
,
> that was awesome!  I was talking to Andrew Perry and he mentioned that
> the information content of a number of posts to these lists was of
> such a high standard, Alex's CSA description/tutorial being a prime
> example, that it would be useful to collate all the information into a
> static web page (at http://nmr-relax.com), possibly in the form of a
> FAQ.  Alex, would you mind if your post was to used in such a way?
> I've started this new thread on relax-devel so that we can discuss
> Andrew's idea.  A few questions/points I have are:

I wouldn't mind at all.  I was thinking, why couldn't it be a sort of NMR
wiki where any and everyone can contribute their particular expertise and it
can grow to be something very thorough.  We could keep a list of topics we'd
like people to create/update and could even ask groups to contribute if
they'd like.  That's what I had thought about anyways.

As Chris suggested, a wiki would be useful. I think it is a good idea. I don't know how to implement it as I'm pretty sure it couldn't be hosted on the Gna! infrastructure (which is behind http://nmr-relax.com). You probably need PHP running, but the Gna! cookbook says that this isn't supported at this time (https://gna.org/cookbook/?func=detailitem&item_id=108). The system would have to be achievable though (just like the relax mailing lists, repositories, etc) so that it can be moved elsewhere if necessary.

In a wiki format, it would be understood that it's open source/ free
information and thus would require no authorship.  I haven't worked on one
myself, but it would be easy to ask people who know more about them.

In the legal system of most countries, standard copyright automatically applies to any text you create. You don't have to have a copyright notice nor do you have to register your copyright. For that text to be used by others you need to explicitly place it in the public domain, licence it, etc. For example, the text of Wikipedia is placed under the GNU Free Documentation License (see the bottom of the pages or the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights). Therefore permission should be sought to reproduce any posts to the mailing lists (and stored on the mailing list archive for reference). The text must have also have been written by the poster and not copied from other sources.

The authorship information will be contained in either the CVS log or
the wiki history.  It need not be in the pages themselves.  If the
pages are licenced under the Creative Commons or the GNU Free
Documentation License, then submitted modifications would also be
licenced under the original licence.

> 5.  Editor of the web page.
>
> Should the web page be a free for all where everyone makes changes, or
> should there be a single person who makes the changes?  The benefit of
> a single person looking after the page is that the formatting,
> English, etc, would be consistent.  This would result in the viewer
> having a much better user experience.

I think the benefit of it being a wiki would be that everyone is the
contriubtor and the editor.  Someone would likely be necessary to check it
regularly and protect against spam/vandalism but if other wiki's on the
internet are any evidence, things tend to work out in the end.  Worst case
scenario, if it becomes problematic, updates could be sent through one
person as you suggest.

Those are my thoughts. I hope they're useful.

If we could implement it, I think the wiki is a great idea as well.  I
like the format and editing capabilities of the MediaWiki software.
If only there was someone with extensive wiki experience on this
mailing list!