mailRe: unit tests vs... the current test_suite

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on October 30, 2006 - 19:10:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> I would suggest to add three directories within the 'test_suite'
> directory: 'unit_tests', 'system_tests', and 'regression_tests'.

I would suggest that the unit tests are kept with their Module as it
makes it easier to check what test goes with what, avoids name clashes
and allows you to quickly check that there is one unit test per module...

I would strongly prefer a separate directory tree of files to prevent
clutter.  I've seen many projects take this approach where the tests
are dislocated from the main tree and very much prefer the isolation.
This is what I've done with the current function/system tests.  If the
separation ever causes the tests to get out of sync with the main
tree, then these will instantly cause a failure of the test suite and
hence synchronisation between different directory trees won't be an
issue.

fair enough i can go with that...

I am about to update the 13 branch with my float code (I have to do a svn co beforehand as I have sorted the spacing issues and added the comments asked for in the 12 branch)

regards
gary

>> as a general note you ought to write the unit tests first ;-) before
>> coding if you want to stick to the 'true philosophy' of this methodology
>>
>> so the idea is
>> 1. suggest feature
>> 2. define relevant unit tests
>> 3. code unit tests
>> 4. code feature
>> 5. check / correct / add more unit tests as needed
>

> Too late for most of relax ;) Retrofitting will be difficult.

Though as Murray Rust points out not impossible ;-)

I will probably need help with this.  If we can implement the unit
test + function test framework, then the tests can be added when the
code is combed through for the proposed redesign (I say proposed
because it is still up for discussion).

Edward

.

Dr Gary Thompson
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology,
University of Leeds, Astbury Building,
Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK             Tel. +44-113-3433024
email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   Fax  +44-113-2331407