mailRe: unit tests vs... the current test_suite

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 31, 2006 - 07:47:
On 10/31/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

>> > I would suggest to add three directories within the 'test_suite'
>> > directory: 'unit_tests', 'system_tests', and 'regression_tests'.
>>
>> I would suggest that the unit tests are kept with their Module as it
>> makes it easier to check what test goes with what, avoids name clashes
>> and allows you to quickly check that there is one unit test per
>> module...
>

> I would strongly prefer a separate directory tree of files to prevent
> clutter.  I've seen many projects take this approach where the tests
> are dislocated from the main tree and very much prefer the isolation.
> This is what I've done with the current function/system tests.  If the
> separation ever causes the tests to get out of sync with the main
> tree, then these will instantly cause a failure of the test suite and
> hence synchronisation between different directory trees won't be an
> issue.
>

> fair enough i can go with that...

I am about to update the 13 branch with my float code (I have to do a
svn co beforehand as I have sorted the spacing issues and added the
comments asked for in the 12 branch)

Do you mean check in? Thanks for making those changes - they should help in keeping the code self documenting and it should significantly help if you decide that you would like to contribute this code to become a standard Python module (if you manage to implement most of the IEEE-754 floating point tests I would strongly recomment that you do this).