mailRe: PyMOL is now supported.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on October 31, 2006 - 16:12:
A couple of issues...

Stupidly doing pdb.create_tensor_pdb('test') before defining a tensor
gives the fairly criptic:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in ?
  File "/home/chris/relax_devel/pdb_tensor/prompt/pdb.py", line 113, in
create_tensor_pdb
    self.__relax__.generic.pdb.create_tensor_pdb(run=run, scale=scale,
file=file, dir=dir, force=force)
  File "/home/chris/relax_devel/pdb_tensor/generic_fns/pdb.py", line
257, in create_tensor_pdb
    if self.relax.data.diff[self.run].type == 'spheroid':
KeyError: 'test'

A case worth checking for and throwing a more informative error.

Ta, I forgot to test if the diffusion tensor was loaded. I've made the fix to my working copy of the sources and will commit it tomorrow.

doing pymol.tensor_pdb(), everything seems to work, but I get:

relax> PyMOL>reinitialise
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/chris/bin/pymol/modules/pymol/parser.py", line 370, in
parse
    exec(com2[nest]+"\n",pymol_names,pymol_names)
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
NameError: name 'reinitialise' is not defined
PyMOL>load ../abp_600MHz_tensorFrame.pdb
 CmdLoad: "../abp_600MHz_tensorFrame.pdb" loaded as
"abp_600MHz_tensorFrame".
PyMOL>load tensor.pdb
 CmdLoad: "tensor.pdb" loaded as "tensor".

Doh, I spelt the word a different way to what it expected. I should have checked the PyMOL stdout printouts.

pymol.cartoon() doesn't work for me. The commands go to pymol (they
appear in the tcl gui at least) but have no apparent effect. Just doing:

hide everything
show cartoon

on the pymol cmd line has the expected effect.

This could be a PyMOL version issue. Which version are you using? I'm using the open source v0.99rc6 version (that you have to compile yourself). The PyMOL 'cmd.hide()' function also works on the non open source binary build of the same version.

And finally, if I do pymol.tensor_pdb(), then close pymol and then do
pymol.view() in the same run, I get the tensor back again (I was just
expecting to get my protein).

This is a feature. The PyMOL functions have inherited the command history feature of the Molmol code. Any commands generated by relax are rerun if you reopen PyMOL from relax. There is the user function 'pymol.clear_history()' which I forgot to mention in the original email.

Oh, and one last thought. It would be nice to automatically scale the
tensor size for the size of the protein, so we don't have to do
trial-and-error adjustments of the scaling factor. The current fixed
default scaling factor means larger proteins will have smaller tensors
and vice-versa. This is something I could have a go at implimenting if
others think its a godd idea?

The reason I have used a scaling factor is twofold. Firstly for comparing two states or systems, you need to have exactly the same scaling in both analyses. Secondly the scaling factor should probably be given with the figure. The value is important - it is the diffusion rate per Angstrom within the figure. I should add this to the user function docstring.