mailRe: Managing the 'test_suite' branch.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on November 02, 2006 - 13:49:
On 11/2/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> On 11/2/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
>>

>> > Make sure that your commit contains solely the bug fix (commit early
>> > and often is the open source way).  Then just merge it normally into
>> > 1.3 and 1.2 with 'svn merge'.
>>

>> there is a problem here. when i commited  Revision: 2723 it included
>> both merges and the corrections to float.py and test-float.py to correct
>> bugs. thus i propose to copy the changes to copy the changes to float.py
>> to the 1.2 and 1.3 branch and manually commit them with relevant
>> comments. the other alternative would be to revert these two files in
>> the test-suite branch ton their 1.3/1.2 form and then reapply the
>> changes an create two commits. now i think about this this seems better
>> what do you think...
>

> The standard way would be to revert the change and then apply them
> separately.  Then the revision with the fix can be picked up as a
> single unit and ported to the main lines.  Didn't r2723
> (https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-commits/2006-11/msg00018.html) just
> consist of three merges from the 1.2 line??

no I packages the other stuff with it, sorry ignorance isn't always bliss

Log:
ported r2634,r2636 & r2716 to the test-suite branch, corrected test_float.py

commands used
svn merge -r2633:2634 svn+ssh://varioustoxins@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.2
svn merge -r2635:2636 svn+ssh://varioustoxins@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.2
svn merge -r2715:2716 svn+ssh://varioustoxins@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.2

these changes add the ieee-754 nan/inf code, add nan catching
and change Test_float so the first unit test works.
I also tidied some conventions

Oh well, it's not really a problem as everything is fixable in a subversion repository. I get it now, the commit included the three merge commands and the single fix to 'test_float.py'. I would revert the commit by running the command:

svn merge -r2723:2722 URL

Commit the reversal, rerun the three merge commands and commit, then
manually put the fix back using a backup copy of the file and commit
it.  Then the fix can be ported to the main lines.