mailRe: [bug #7670] scons compile issue

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on November 10, 2006 - 09:17:
On 11/10/06, Douglas Kojetin <douglas.kojetin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 9, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> Did you also revert your change to the SCons file 'gnulink.py' which
> you described at
> https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-11/msg00098.html

Yes, I remove the correction from the 'gnulink.py' file in the SCons
distribution.  But to be certain that no other changes were made, I
will remove and reinstall SCons and try again.

There's no need to reinstall SCons if you have reverted 'gnulink.py'.

> That was quite an easy process to enable the relax C modules to
> compile on Mac OS X.  Thank you Doug for solving many of the issues.
> Would you be at all interested in joining the relax project by using
> SCons to build pre-compiled OS X distribution packages?  As I only
> have access to 32 bit GNU/Linux and MS Windows environments, I am
> unable to provide these packages by myself.

Sure, no problem. Just let me know how I should go about doing this.

There are a few steps required. The first step in joining the relax project is to setup a Gna! account (https://gna.org/). All of relax's infrastructure, including http://nmr-relax.com, is hosted by Gna! (see https://gna.org/projects/relax/).

Then you'll need to set up a Mac OS X build environment for relax
(http://www.nmr-relax.com/devel_platform.html).  This will require a
number of tools including LaTeX and GnuPG.  Unfortunately there is no
web page explaining how to do this, but the MS Windows page
http://www.nmr-relax.com/windows_devel.html could be used to give you
an idea of what's needed.  If you could, it would be ideal if the web
page http://www.nmr-relax.com/windows_devel.html was copied and a new
page called http://www.nmr-relax.com/osx_devel.html created by
replacing the Windows info with Mac OS X info (as you set up the
development environment).  This would be very useful info if you pass
on the task of building Mac OS X pre-compiled distribution packages to
someone else.  You can get a complete copy of the relax web site using
CVS (see https://gna.org/cvs/?group=relax).  You don't have to do this
though.

Once the development environment is set up, then you will be able to
start building the OS X distribution package.  It would be best to use
the 1.2 repository line to start with because the 'sconstruct' script
will most likely need to be improved.  For example, are bzipped tar
files '*.tar.bz2' the best format for OS X?  To build the package you
type:

scons binary_dist

The last part, which is very important, is security.  You will need to
GPG sign the package before sending it to me.  A GPG key pair
specifically for your Gna! account should be created and the public
key registered at https://gna.org/my/admin/ (after you have an
account).  Once this is done, I'll have to work out how to modify the
'sconstruct' script so that you can use your private key to sign it
rather than SCons expecting my GPG private key for relax.  We can work
out how to upload the file with your signature and then sign it with
the official relax key later.

Thank you for volunteering to build these packages,