mailRe: Keeping the 'test_suite' branch in sync.

Posted by Gary S. Thompson on November 30, 2006 - 09:18:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

Unfortunately you won't be able to use one command to do the update.
The reason is because at r2770 you ported r2768 of the 1.3 line which
was a fix for bug #7641 (https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?7641).
Therefore the bulk porting of r2718 to r2888 will cause r2768 to be
applied to the 'test_suite' branch twice.  It would be best, for the
sake of resolving conflicts, to port revisions in small blocks.

ok I follow

Another major issue is all the skipped targets. These are conflicts caused by the shifting of files. The skipped targets at your work are the correct ones. For example, I have edited the system/functional tests of the test suite in the 1.3 line but as you have moved them to another directory in the 'test_suite' branch, the changes I made cannot be merged. As for the 'data' directory, I created that in the 'tensor_pdb' branch which was merged back into the 1.3 line. These files don't exist within the 'test_suite' branch. Finally the images in 'docs/latex/images/model_free/' directory are new as well.

It doesn't look like SVN handles merging when files move, directories
are created, etc.  It's a pity that it doesn't follow the history of
files to allow proper merging when the file structure changes.
Therefore, if you don't mind Gary, I'll try the difficult merging
process bit by bit myself.  For file moves, directory creations, etc.,
I'll probably need to do these manually.  Once all changes from the
1.3 line have been successfully ported into the 'test_suite' branch,
I'll then merge the branch back into the 1.3 line.  I'll attempt the
merging with the very new 1.4.2 version of subversion as this may fix
a number of the skipped target issues.  Then all work on the test
suite can happen in the 1.3 line.  If changes are made to the
'test_suite' branch after it has been merging back into 1.3, these can
easily be ported.  This merging will be useful as it will help
accelerate the redesign of the new data model (which will require the
addition of many unit tests).

Thats all fine by me ;-)

regards gary

On 11/28/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> It might be worth considering porting all the changes which have
> occurred within the 1.3 line into the 'test_suite' branch.  A large
> number of changes have been made to the 1.3 line and hence the branch
> is quite out of sync.  I believe that porting the changes will already
> cause at least one 'conflict'.  It could soon get to a stage where it
> will be very difficult to update.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Edward
>

> P.S.  The link to the description on how to do this porting is
> https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-11/msg00049.html
> Don't worry about stuffing things up, everything is reversible.

> .

Hi Ed
    I am having a go at this with the command

svn merge --dry-run  -r2718:2888
svn+ssh://varioustoxins@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3 .

run in the test_suite branch directory but I am getting the following errors

Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/sequence.py' Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/test_suite.py' Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/angles.py' Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/model_free.py' Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/data/model_free/orig_state.bz2' Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/data/curve_fitting/rx.save.bz2'

can you help?

I did a snv up on both 1.3 and test_suite before I started and these
files are not present...

(note I  did this at home and work on exactly the same repository (i
mounted the directory from work over sshfs) and got different results,
there were many more skipped missing targets at work [this appears to be
a version problem, at work we are stuck with svn 1.0.0 whereas at home I
have1.3.2])

regards
gary

nb here are the skipped targets at work

Skipped missing target: 'docs/latex/images/model_free/new_protocol.eps.gz'
Skipped missing target: 'docs/latex/images/model_free/mandel95.eps.gz'
Skipped missing target: 'docs/latex/images/model_free/init_diff_est.svg'
Skipped missing target: 'docs/latex/images/model_free/new_protocol.svg'
Skipped missing target: 'docs/latex/images/model_free/init_diff_est.eps.gz'
Skipped missing target: 'docs/latex/images/model_free/mandel95.svg'
Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/sequence.py'
Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/test_suite.py'
Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/angles.py'
Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/model_free.py'
Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/data/model_free/orig_state.bz2'
Skipped missing target: 'test_suite/data/curve_fitting/rx.save.bz2'
Skipped missing target: 'data/__init__.py'
Skipped missing target: 'data/diff_tensor.py'
Skipped missing target: 'data/main.py'
Skipped missing target: 'data/data_classes.py'

Dr Gary Thompson
Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology,
University of Leeds, Astbury Building,
Leeds, LS2 9JT, West-Yorkshire, UK             Tel. +44-113-3433024
email: garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                   Fax  +44-113-2331407

.