mailre: Updating the 'test_suite' branch and merging it back into the 1.3 line.

Posted by gary thompson on December 02, 2006 - 09:40:
Hi,

I've now ported all the changes which have occurred within the 1.3
line into the 'test_suite' branch.  See the thread starting at
https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-11/msg00197.html
for more details.

I have used the new subversion 1.4.2 which saved much pain.
This
allowed file and directory additions, movements, and renaming to be
automatically ported.  This is the difference you saw Gary between
subversion version 1.0.0 and 1.3.2
( https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-11/msg00211.html,
issues with changes to the system/functional tests as these had
shifted from the directory 'test_suite' to 'test_suite/system_tests'.
However this was easy enough to fix by using an SVN merge command
between the two different directories.  The full list of commands I
used for the update were:

svn merge -r2718:2743 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx /svn/relax/1.3
svn merge -r2774:2844 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3
svn merge -r2846:2847 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3
svn merge -r2846:2847
svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3/test_suite/
test_suite/system_tests
svn merge -r2847:2848 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3
svn merge -r2848:2849 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3
svn merge -r2848:2849
svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3/test_suite/
test_suite/system_tests
svn merge -r2849:2852 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3
svn merge -r2852:2853
svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3/test_suite/test_suite.py
test_suite/system_tests/main.py
svn merge -r2855:2897 svn+ssh://bugman@xxxxxxxxxxx/svn/relax/1.3

The second last command allowed changes to the file
'test_suite/test_suite.py' which had been renamed and shifted to
'test_suite/system_tests/main.py' to be ported over.  This merging
process is simple enough that svnmerge.py isn't really necessary
(https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-12/msg00000.html,
different story if svnmerge.py helped with the skipped target issues,
however I would think it would be the Subversion developers themselves
who will fix the issue (by tracking file and directory movements
within the repository). Svnmerge.py does look quite promising though,
I might play around with it more next time I create a branch.  It
should prevent a revision from being missed or a revision being ported
twice.

This is as i surmised

I have also merged the 'test_suite' branch back into the 1.3 line.
Changes can still be made to the 'test_suite' branch but I would
recommend that everything now occurs within the 1.3 line.

I would go ahead and scub the test_suite branch then. Should I go ahead and make the various other changes I suggested in the 1.3 branch (I guess you can always roll them back if they aren't quite the thing you need?)

regards
gary