mailRe: Join the team

Posted by Sebastien Morin on January 12, 2007 - 21:51:
Hi !

As soon as I get some time (I should say as soon as I have less things
to do), I will start reading those tutorials, guides and papers...

I'll let you know when I'm finished with that and feel I can start
writing some simple things...

Thanks for letting me in !

Sébastien :)

You are more than welcome to give it a go.  relax has been
specifically designed to make it easy for non-programmers to get
involved.

The first thing to do if you haven't played with Python before would
be to have a read of the Python Tutorial
(http://docs.python.org/tut/).  The core of relax is written in Python
which is one of the easiest languages to learn.  The Python Library
Reference (http://docs.python.org/lib/lib.html) and Python Reference
Manual (http://docs.python.org/ref/ref.html) are useful for reference
when you are coding.

The relax development chapter of the user manual describes the tools
needed, the relax coding conventions, how to submit changes, the steps
in becoming a full committer, the commit message format, an overview
of the structure of the relax source code, the relax mailing lists and
bug, task and support request trackers, and how you should make as
many URL links as possible.

Because the relax source code is highly documented in plain English I
would recommend reading parts of the code.  All of relax is heavily
documented with about 20% of all non-empty lines being comments.

The addition of code for reduced spectral density mapping
extrapolation to determine J(0) at multiple field strengths (see
https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-users/2006-12/msg00003.html,
will require a bit of planning.  Firstly you'll need to pick the exact
technique you would like to implement and determine whether
mathematical optimisation (i.e. the 'minimise()' user function is
called) or if a simpler direct calculation is required (i.e. the
'calc()' user function is called).  One or two new user functions will
need to be created to select which of the numerous reduced spectral
density mapping techniques should be utilised.  This could be called
something like 'jw_mapping.select_technique()'.

The reduced spectral density mapping code will need to be broken into
separate sections for the 'prompt', 'specific_fns', and 'maths_fns'
directories.  I would suggest creating the code in that order,
possibly by cutting and pasting then modifying existing
code/functions.  As the 1.2 repository line has stabilised and is now
reserved for bugfixes, the changes should occur in the 1.3 repository
line.  Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Edward