mailRe: relax gui-testing branch

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on July 22, 2011 - 15:04:
Hi Seb,

I now have a Mac OS X machine I can test this out out.  This type of
bug could actually be any GUI error, so greyed out menus or a
unresponsive GUI doesn't say much.  When testing the GUI, it is best
to run relax using:

$ ./relax -gd

This will then leave STDOUT and STDERR output to the terminal from
where relax was launched, rather than sending the output to the relax
controller.  Note I have also implemented the framework for GUI tests
and already have 3 tests which pass on my GNU/Linux machine.  To use
this, type:

$ ./relax --gui-test

These tests are run as part of the full test suite as well, so:

$ ./relax -x

will test everything.  I haven't looked at polishing or even debugging
the GUI on Mac OS X or MS Windows yet, as I'm still in the fundamental
redesign process.  It is getting close though, and the new GUI design
is quite different.  It should give the flexibility that users
require.  And it should make it easy to add new analyses to the GUI
such as the consistency testing, the reduced spectral density mapping,
the N-state model, and the frame order theory (as well as a custom
analysis where the user is free to do what ever they like.  It is also
quite easy to create user functions windows with the infrastructure
now built into this branch.

P. S. If you work out how to fix something on a Mac yourself, that
information would be quite useful ;)