mailRe: Creation of a relax wiki

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on June 25, 2013 - 11:48:
Hi Edward.

I am happy, that you think it is a good idea.

1) Porting/safety download of the wiki
There will be two things you need to safety download.
From the FTP and the MYSQL database.

The FTP contains the LocalSettings.php, which provide the settings for the wiki
and the extensions (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Extensions).
The FTP also contain the images that is uploaded to the wiki.

The wiki entries are written to a MYSQL database, which is the important one to
backup.

For safety reasons, I suggest a model where you get the passwords to the FTP and the
MYSQL database. If you then can make a backup script that on a weekly/daily basis
make a dump of the FTP and the MYSQL database, and make that available external,
I think that is the best model. I would be insecure about sharing the passwords for other
than trusted people.

2) Setting up: wiki.nmr-relax.com
I see that it is working, but there is a DNS problem, which prevent user creation,
log in/out and editing.
According to my brother you need to tweak your DNS provider. You have
GoDaddy and DNS via domaincontrol.com. You should set up a CNAME
record and point to IP 217.116.232.203.
Let's take this off-list.

3) Scripts for the wiki
I was part of migrating all the scripts at the pymolwiki into a shared pymol-script-repo
at Github. The advantages are many. Read here for reference.
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git
I wrote all these entries at the pymol wiki.
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_install
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_authors
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_script_guidelines
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Git_admin

For the wiki, Thomas Holder made a "wiki box". (A dynamic page thing)
One just write in the wiki entry:
{{Infobox script-repo
|type      = script
|filename  = propka.py
|author    = [[User:Tlinnet|Troels E. Linnet]]
|license   = BSD
}}

You can for example see it here:
http://pymolwiki.org/index.php/Propka

If one in the top-right click 'propka.py', you are
redirected to the "raw" view at github.
There is color and raw view available
https://github.com/Pymol-Scripts/Pymol-script-repo/blob/master/propka.py
https://raw.github.com/Pymol-Scripts/Pymol-script-repo/master/propka.py

I suggest we setup up a similar system.
Creating an "organisation" at at gihub, for the merged scripts.
Developers can then fork, modify, and make a "pull request" from their
repo to the organisation repo.
Note, that the traffic is "quite" low.

But one could make tutorials, analysing scripts, matplot lib plotting.
Etc etc.
The good thing with this, is that this will provide a "fast track" development for
users. Making it more "fun" for new NMR people, with script background.
Users do not need to "care" to much about backwards compatibility.
If the wiki pages have a large hit-rate, the functionality could then be considered
to be official implemented in the relax source code.

4) Graphic icon
Sure ! I already stole one icon from the repo. Can you point out which one?
With the FTP access, you can also do it ourself. :-)
Upload it to: /skins/common/images
And modify LocalSettings.php at the entry:
$wgLogo             = "$wgStylePath/common/images/ulysses.png";

5) Name: relax
I have modified the name, and will try to remember forwards.
Note, that you can create a user, and do it your self. :-)
I suggest you create two users.
I will grant one admin rights, and in the daily, I suggest logging
in with the "plain" user, to prevent accidentally clicking one of the "power" buttons.

6) Organisation.
You can change the title/pages/categories, as you find fit. :-)
As for organisation of pages/categories, I agree that we should have that in mind.
But before we/I use to much energy, I think we should wait a "little" to let the information
grow. Then we can take a "cleaning/organisation" round.
I for example, will only cover material/tutorials/install instructions that is directly usable for
"our" group, which is dynamics in us time scale. I "hope" that groups which will benefit
for detailed instructions on their type of analysis, will provide the entries needed.

7) License
The License is in LocalSettings.php
## For attaching licensing metadata to pages, and displaying an
## appropriate copyright notice / icon. GNU Free Documentation
## License and Creative Commons licenses are supported so far.
$wgRightsPage = ""; # Set to the title of a wiki page that describes your license/copyright
$wgRightsUrl = "http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/";
$wgRightsText = "Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike";
$wgRightsIcon = "{$wgStylePath}/common/images/cc-by-sa.png";

I have made a License page, and protected it for admins only modification:
http://nmr-relax.kimlinnet.dk/index.php?title=License

I made these changes
$wgRightsPage = "License"; # Set to the title of a wiki page that describes your license/copyright
$wgRightsUrl = "http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html";
$wgRightsText = "GNU General Public License, version 3 (GPL-3.0)";
$wgRightsIcon = "{$wgStylePath}/common/images/62px31px-GNU_General_Public_License_3_Logo.png";

Best

Troels Emtekær Linnet