mailRe: Graphics for Sparky, NMRPipe, and other NMR software.

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on August 05, 2013 - 11:14:
Hi Ryan,

I haven't seen it for quite a while but I now remember this icon!  I
don't know where it's from though as it's not on the Sparky website as
far as I can tell.  I can only see it as the icon for the Mac OS X
Sparky.app application.  The MS Windows icon is a light brown feather
or maybe it is supposed to be a quilt pen, it's a bit hard to make
out.  On Linux there are no icons or logos.  So I don't think that
that red and black target logo with a white X is really is the Sparky
logo but rather something randomly picked just for the Mac app.  If it
is though then we can easily reproduce it in an SVG graphic.

One alternative would be to make the user function windows in the GUI
which are specific to Sparky completely salmon pink.  Every Sparky
user will know what that means ;)  Well, expect for a few poor Linux
users where the old Tk colours have been mangled and the Sparky
windows are in grey though they would have seen the salmon pink window
colouring in the Sparky manual or website.  This alternative could
actually seriously be done, if a developer has interest.  It would be
a funny little trick :)  A salmon pink icon could be created from one
of the square boxes at the top of the window decorations from a
screenshot such as
http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/home/sparky/manual/images/view.gif.

However right now there are no Sparky specific user functions.  In the
future we could create one though, something like spectrum.read_sparky
or sparky.read_list, which would generate the residue and spin
sequence, load all chemical shift data, peak intensities if specified,
and what ever other data is present in the Sparky *.list file.  I.e.
it would combine all of the spectrum.read_* user functions into one.