mailRe: relax in Windows

Posted by Chris MacRaild on September 04, 2006 - 18:32:
On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 17:03 +1000, Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

\relax-1.2.6\prompt\interpreter.py", line 26, in ?
     import readline
ImportError: No module named readline

#import readline

\Python24\lib\rlcompleter.py", line 42, in ?
     import readline
ImportError: No module named readline

Well, my excursion went until here. What do you think? Do you have in
mind some W. alternative to this "Popen3"?

These last two error could be fatal for relax under MS Windows!  The
'readline' module is essential for the relax prompt based interface.
I just looked it up and the Python library documentation says that
it's UNIX only!!!  Without this module there is no prompt based
interface.  It could exist but it would be severely crippled and would
make using relax in Windows very painful.

As I understand it, readline is not a vital as all that. readline
provides tab completion on the relax prompt, which is very useful, but
not essential. In a quick test here, I can comment out all references to
readline in prompt/interpreter.py (the import statement and the tab
completion code near line 202). Thus modified, relax runs fine, the
prompt interface works, but lacks tab-completion as expected. Admitedly
all this is in Linux, but I see no reason why it won't work in Windows
two (no guarantees it wont turn up more Unix-specific issues elsewhere,
of course). I suspect that if you ran relax from inside an appropriately
featured IDE you could even recover that functionality courtesy of the
IDE's implimentation (can't easily test that here, though).

Chris

There may however be a way around the readline problem.  There appears
to be an alternative for MS Windows that you can download from
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82407&package_id=84552.
 If you install this, does the 'readline' import error disappear?
Hopefully there aren't any more UNIX only import statements in relax!

I hope this helps,