mailRe: scripts

Posted by Chris MacRaild on January 08, 2007 - 11:28:
I certainly expect Chi-squared and the dynamic parameters to be highly
dependent on the value of tm. This is why I recomend the extensive
iteration of steps 2-4 below, in an attempt to find the optimal fit. I
would expect if you start the procedure below from subtly different tm
values and iterate to convergence you should reach the same result in
the end (ie. tm, chi2 and all other parameters should be nearly
identical). If that is not the case, you could use the model-selection
functions in relax to test which result is the best fit to your data.
This is a little dangerous, however, because you have no way of knowing
that the two possible solutions you are considering are the only
possibilities (ie. there might always be another, better, solution that
you havn't found yet).

One alternative is to use the analysis protocol implimented in the
full_analysis.py sample script. This is a new and quite different
approach, that does not rely on having an initial tm estimate. It has
been discussed in the thread Edward pointed you to, and elsewhere on
this list.

One final point to keep in mind is that all modelfree analysis protocols
can be effected by bad data. It is well worth looking carefully for
apparent outliers, residues that appear to be strongly affected by Rex,
etc. and excluding them from the early stages of the analysis. They can
always be reintroduced after you have settled on a final diffusion
tensor.

Chris