mailNOE errors

Posted by Sebastien Morin on August 16, 2007 - 19:38:
Hi everyone,

I was looking at the NOE tool in relax and was quite surprised by the
way errors are calculated...

In the file 'specific_fns/noe.py' of the 1.2 line (r3354), the function
for the noe error is :

                       \/ {sd(sat)*I(unsat)}^2 + {sd(unsat)*I(sat)}^2
            sd(NOE) = -----------------------------------------------
                                          I(unsat)^2

Shouldn't this be more like :

            sd(NOE) =  NOE * \/ {sd(sat)*I(sat)}^2 + {sd(unsat)*I(unsat)}^2

In other words, shouldn't the NOE error be the product of the NOE by the
root of the squared sum of relative errors for Isat and Iunsat,
respectively ? Ain't this the way one should normally propagate errors
for value calculated by a division (like NOE=Isat/Iunsat)

What are the main advantages of calculating errors with either
techniques and why the one is relax should be more accurate ?

Thanks !

Sébastien

--