mailRe: NOE errors

Posted by Dr Horst Schirra on August 17, 2007 - 04:56:
Hi Sebastien,

Nope - Error propagation works according to Gauss like:

[sigma(f(a,b,...))]^2= [df/da]^2 * [sigma(a)]^2 + [df/db]^2 *
[sigma(b)]^2 + ....

In other words the variance (square of the standard deviation) of a
function f that depends on variables a,b,... is the sqare of the partial
derivative of f with respect to a [1], times the square of the standard
deviation of a [2] + the square of the partial derivative of f with
respect to b times the square of the standard deviation of b + and so on...

For NOE=a/b you get:

dNOE/da = 1/b

dNOE/db = -a/(b^2)

If you insert that into the formula above and take the square root at
the end to get sigma(NOE) instead of sigma(NOE)^2 then you end up with
Ed's formula.

Cheers,

Horst Joachim Schirra

[1]=(possibly better written in the proper form as [d f(a,b,...)/da]^2 -
but I wanted to save space up there)
[2]= In other words: the variance of a

    / Dr. sc. nat. Horst Joachim Schirra    Phone: (+61)7/3346-2021 /
   / Queensland Smart State Fellow          Fax:  (+61)7/3346-2101 /
  / Institute for Molecular Bioscience                            /
 / University of Queensland           email: h.schirra@xxxxxxxxx /
/ Brisbane QLD 4072, Australia   http://www.uq.edu.au/~uqhschir /