mailModel selection and local_tm

Posted by Carl Diehl on March 28, 2008 - 14:01:
Hi.
I used the full_analysis.py script for testing and evaluating relax in
comparison with published data.

The system was calcium-loaded Calbindin D9k, with R1 & NOE at 600 MHz
and R2, R1 & NOE at 500 MHz. The relaxation data is of very high
quality. The model selection was done using home-written software, so no
ordinary model selection à Modelfree.

After running full_analysis.py (removing excess models), model selection
gives me local_tm as the best model for the diffusion tensor. Previous
calculations (both 15N and 13C relaxation data) indicates that the
diffusion tensor is to a good approximation, isotropic (only a very
slight anistropy).
Looking at the local_tm values for the secondary structure, most of them
have a local_tm which is similar to the isotropic tensor.

Is the local_tm model always correct? For a well folded protein, one
would expect that the local_tm model should be invalid?

Regards
--
Carl Diehl
Department of Biophysical Chemistry