mailRe: Installation of relax under Mac OS

Posted by Troels Emtekær Linnet on February 20, 2014 - 10:52:
Dear Mengjun.

There is distinction between compiling from trunk and using a compiled version.

The "trunk" is under continuously development, and will probably have test suites that fails.

This is because one first defines a test for a wished function/method, and then change the code
until the test passes, and all the other tests passes as well.

When a certain number of developments have been achieved, relax is locked to a version number
and OS compiled for download.

The full script based functionality of relax for all system OS, will always be achieved best for the source code compiled versions.

Best
Troels

Dear Edward and Troels,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I have tried to install Relax-3.1.5 under Mac OS by following your suggestions (use the source release and compile it), but I have not successfully installed Relax-3.1.5 under Mac OS till now. However Relax-3.1.5 can be installed under windows system on my another computer although some errors come up when I run the full test suite. Anyway, I will try again to install Relax-3.1.5 under Mac OS later on. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Mengjun

Quoting Troels Emtekær Linnet <tlinnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi Mengjun.

If you have Mavericks and are in for trying to compile yourself, then try
this guide I have written:
http://wiki.nmr-relax.com/Installation_mac_mavericks_os_x

If you are experienced linux user, and want to use scripts for
dataanalysis, this should be
the best way.

Let me know if you have problems, or are successful.

Best
Troels

Hi Mengjun,

The way that Mac OS X constructs an 'App' is quite complex and
convoluted.  A result of this is that the scripts in the relax
directories, including 'relax_gui_mode.py' will never be able to run.
This is part of the 'App' design - maybe it is a security feature, I'm
not sure.  Anyway, if you click on the relax icon in the 'App', relax
will launch into the GUI mode.  There is no way to run the App on the
command line.  You can however use the source release, install the
dependencies which is rather easy on a Mac, and then have access to
all the scripts and prompt/script user interface (UI) if you so wish.

http://www.nmr-relax.com/download.html.