mailRe: r2774 - /branches/test_suite/test_suite/unit_tests/unit_test_runner.py

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on November 09, 2006 - 18:30:
On 11/10/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Edward d'Auvergne wrote:

> On 11/10/06, Gary S. Thompson <garyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Edward d'Auvergne wrote:
>>
>> > Gary, I was wondering how the code in this new 'unit_test_runner.py'
>> > file is executed?  I can't work out how to run this code.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Edward

>> Hi Ed at the moment it is very crude (for testing and modularity
>> purposes)
>

> I have had a lot of difficulties trying to understand what the code is
> doing without explanations in the code.

True but there is little point at the moment as I am still hacking
;-)      Give it a couple of days and I will finalise things a bit more
and add some comments...

Writing out your ideas into docstrings or comments is a very good coding practice for planning out what the code will do. I use it as essentially a planning document prior to writing the code. I write everything I want the code to do then make the code do it, it almost sounds like a unit test ;). It helps me to think about the execution of large chunks of code and if that is the optimal solution. I also use comments to explain why I do things to help with debugging.