mailRe: BMRB diffusion tensor saveframes.

Posted by Eldon Ulrich on November 25, 2009 - 18:43:
Hi,

The tag _Tensor_list.Geometric_shape as in your second example would work well as long as the values in the enumerated list are mutually exclusive. It would not be good to have one entry with a value of 'sphere' and another with the value of 'isotropic'.

Would this work:

_Tensor_list.Geometric_shape (sphere, spheroid, oblate spheroid,
         prolate spheroid, rhombic)
_Tensor_list.Shape_homogeneity (isotropic, anisotropic)

Then 'anisotropic' groups everything except 'sphere' so that they can all be selected in a single query. Of course 'sphere' and 'isotropic' are a bit redundant. I suggest 'rhombic' instead of 'ellipsoid' as this seems to be the more defining term used by many people.

It would seem that having both items like 'spheroid' and 'axial symmetry' as enumerations to the same tag since they are equivalent by the definition below would be confusing.

Regarding the inclusion of coordinates, I would tend to favor including all of the coordinates for the model used. Although not required, it provides context for users when they download the file for their own calculations.

Cheers,
Eldon

Having 2 tags to serve this purpose is a good idea.  I would suggest
then, to match the physics rather than anything else:

_Tensor_list.Geometric_shape (sphere, spheroid, oblate spheroid,
prolate spheroid, ellipsoid).
_Tensor_list.Isotropy (isotropic, anisotropic, axial symmetry, oblate
axial symmetry, prolate axial symmetry, rhombic).

What do you think?  Here:

sphere = isotropic,
spheroid = axial symmetry,
oblate spheroid = oblate axial symmetry,
prolate spheroid = prolate axial symmetry,
ellipsoid = rhombic.

Or maybe this would be best:

_Tensor_list.Geometric_shape (sphere, spheroid, oblate spheroid,
prolate spheroid, ellipsoid, isotropic, axial symmetry, oblate axial
symmetry, prolate axial symmetry, rhombic)
_Tensor_list.Tensor_shape_homogeneity (isotropic, anisotropic)

If these are closed enumerations, then automatic parsing by downstream
programs will be possible.