mailRe: relax in Windows

Posted by Edward d'Auvergne on September 18, 2006 - 07:02:
On 9/13/06, Edward d'Auvergne <edward.dauvergne@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you, and to Andrew and Chris as well for your help. In fact I got
> the same setup last week (with readline+ctypes) and it worked fine in my
> computer. The last thing I was trying to do it was to compile the c
> modules with c++ (the windows version, "visual studio")... I didn't
> succeed. Good that the test you made was running well.

It's not a problem, all improvements to relax are welcome.  As for
compiling the C modules, the sconstruct system is the way to go.  I
don't know if the C++ version of Microsoft Visual Studio will compile
C source code.  Do you have the free download version "Visual C++ 2005
Express", or some other version?  If it does compile C though, the
sconstruct system (http://www.scons.org/) is the way relax builds it's
modules.  According to the SCons website, the system has "[b]uilt-in
support for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and past Visual Studio
versions", so by running the command 'scons' in the relax base
directory the modules should automatically compile.  I'll download the
free version of Visual Studio and give it a go - maybe I will be able
to provide Windows binaries to download!

I hope you haven't spent too long attempting to compile the C modules. I installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express and attempted to build the modules - however there were a number of problems causing SCons to fail. Some of these include that options sent to the compiler on Windows are of the form '/I' whereas on Unix like systems it is '-I' and that the Python library path could not be found (another was an easily fixable SCons bug which affects the Express edition of Visual Studio). I have fixed all the issues and the modules now compile (most were fixed in the repository and described in the commit post https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-commits/2006-09/msg00024.html, Message-id: <E1GO5ha-0001GT-3T@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>).

I will hopefully create a new version of relax (1.2.7) and add a
pre-compiled binary release for MS Windows to the relax download page
(http://www.nmr-relax.com/download.html).  The new version will be
announced on the relax-announce mailing list
(https://mail.gna.org/listinfo/relax-announce).  If you would like to
build the modules before the new releases are available, you could
either directly save the most up to date 'sconstruct' file from the
1.2 line of the repository from http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/relax/ or
using the Subversion program, check out the current source code by
tying the command 'svn co http://svn.gna.org/svn/relax/1.2 relax'.
There is also the relax.bat file for running relax in Windows which
can be downloaded from the repository (see
https://mail.gna.org/public/relax-devel/2006-09/msg00004.html,